Friday, November 16, 2018

November 16th

Hi Parents,

This week we learned about the letters Z, X, and E. We have now learned all the letters of the alphabet and we are continuing to work on using our knowledge of letter sounds to sound out words when we are writing and reading.

Our words of the week this week were: all, had, not, they
Our words of the week next week will be: but, his, one, so

In writing this week we did a free write, where we were allowed to write about whatever we like, for example our weekend. We also used our learning and discussions in social studies to write about how we help in our communities.

In math we continued to develop our number sense and knowledge through calendar, games and activities.

We also continued to develop our reading, writing,  letter recognition, letter sounds, storytelling, and listening to reading through literacy centers.

We worked with our grade 2 buddies to roll a character. Together with our buddy we used a sheet and dice to roll our a character. We really enjoyed this activity, we may even be able to use our characters in one of our stories during writing!

In social studies we continued  learning about communities. We learned about our next community, which is the community of Cranston. We also discussed who is apart of our Cranston community, such as police officers and doctors. We then discussed ways in which we help our Cranston community to be a better and safer place. Some of the ways we help our community are by picking up garbage we see on the ground, being respectful to nature, using the cross walk when crossing the street and helping others in the community.

This week we started a discussion about how we can be problem solvers when we are having problems with our friends. So far we have learned about six strategies that we can use to help us solve problems.

1. "I Statements". We use these when our friends do something we don't like. This can make us mad, sad, or frustrated. Instead of hitting or yelling we can use an I Statement.
I feel (emotion) when you (action) please (new action)
For example. "I feel mad when you push me, please keep your hands to your self".

2. Make a Deal. We make a deal when my friend and I disagree about what to do. This can make us mad or frustrated. Instead of hitting or yelling we can make a deal so we both are happy.
For example, instead of fighting over who goes first, we will play rock, paper, scissors to see who goes first this time. Then next time the other person can go first.

3. Say Sorry.  Sometimes when I am playing with my friends I may do something that is not nice. I can tell that my friend did not like what I did by their body language and/or words. I may have done it on purpose or by accident, when this happens I need to say a sorry statement.
I am sorry for __________
This was wrong because_________
Next time I'll___________
Please forgive me 
 For example, I am sorry for not including you in our game, this was wrong because it made you feel sad, next time I'll include you in our game.  Please forgive me. 

Most often I feel happy when I am with my friends. But sometimes my friends might do something that I don't like. This might make me feel annoyed, frustrated or mad. I don't need to hit or yell, I can use the following strategies to keep this problem small.
4. Ignore Them.  I can ignore what they are doing and tell my self it isn't a big deal.
Sometimes ignoring someone may not work and I am still feeling frustrated and in the yellow zone. If ignoring them doesn't work I can use my next strategy
5. Ask Them to Stop. Before I say something I take a deep breath and look at the person who is bugging me. I then use a calm voice and say "please stop doing that" or " I feel frustrated when you...".
If that doesn't work I can..
6. Walk away. Walk away quietly to another spot in the classroom then I can use my calming down strategies to stay in the green zone.

Next week we will continue to practice these strategies and discuss the other problem solver strategies so that we can become independent problem solvers with our friends.
Check out the picture below to see all the strategies that help us  to be a problem solver.

Reminders:

Friday November 23rd is a PD day. No School

Monday November 26th-Thursday November 29th is our Hip Hop Dance Residency in Gym.

Friday November 30th will be our Dance showcase. Parents are invited to come and watch your child perform the dance they learned during the week. Our class will be performing at 8:25am on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

June 21st

Hi Parents, This week in writing we wrote about our dream summer vacation. Some of us wrote about real places we would want to go, some of...