Thursday, November 22, 2018

November 22nd

Hi Parents,

This week week in math we started our math centers. We are practicing our subitizing and building our number sense through games and activities. We are doing roll and build, go fish. greatest number with ten frame cards, number bingo and show me where we have to show Ms. Hill 4 different ways to represent a number, for example tally marks or ten frames.
We also were given a math problem to solve this week. The problem was that Sam saw 9 bunnies. Some were white and some were brown. How many bunnies of each colour could Sam have seen?

We continued to work on our sight words, letter recognition and reading through literacy centers. Next week we will be starting some new literacy centers that focus on words of the week, sight words, reading, making words and word families.

Since we have been talking a lot about how we help our communities and how we solve problem with our friends, we read the story " How do Dinosaurs Stay Friends" and then wrote about how we stay friends with our friends. We wrote about how we can show kindness to them and how we can solve problems in peaceful way.
We also had a chance to do a free write this week, where we are able to write about whatever we would like.

This week we also had a chance to look at a variety of art pieces and discuss how we felt about them. Some were realistic, some had very bright colours. We talked about what we liked and didn't like. We also discussed which ones we liked the better and why.

We continued to work on our words of the week.
The words of the week this week were: but, his, one, so
The words of the week next week will be:  go, him, like, my 

In social studies we continued to learn about our communities. We leaned some history about our community of Cranston. We learned that Cranston is named after a family from Scotland and that it  stands for "Crane Town" or "Crane Settlement". We also learned that when people first settled here they have windmills and that is why we have the windmill as you enter Cranston.
We also discussed our community of Calgary. We discovered that our  community of Calgary is much bigger then our community of Cranston and that Cranston is a small part of the Calgary community. We also realized that we are apart of some communities at the same time. For example, when we are at school we are apart of our school community, the Cranston community and the community of Calgary.

Today we had Club Thursday! We had such an amazing time at our clubs once again. We will be going to these clubs one more time before we switch to a new club in the new year.

We also continued our work with becoming a problem solver. We learned four more strategies and now have 10 different strategies we can use to solve problems with our friends peacefully. Here is the full list of problem solver strategies we have learned and will continue to practice inside and outside the classroom.

1. "I Statements". We use these when our friends do something we don't like. This can make us mad, sad, or frustrated. Instead of hitting or yelling we can use an I Statement.
I feel (emotion) when you (action) please (new action)
For example. "I feel mad when you push me, please keep your hands to your self".

2. Make a Deal. We make a deal when my friend and I disagree about what to do. This can make us mad or frustrated. Instead of hitting or yelling we can make a deal so we both are happy.
For example, instead of fighting over who goes first, we will play rock, paper, scissors to see who goes first this time. Then next time the other person can go first.

3. Say Sorry.  Sometimes when I am playing with my friends I may do something that is not nice. I can tell that my friend did not like what I did by their body language and/or words. I may have done it on purpose or by accident, when this happens I need to say a sorry statement.
I am sorry for __________
This was wrong because_________
Next time I'll___________
Please forgive me 
 For example, I am sorry for not including you in our game, this was wrong because it made you feel sad, next time I'll include you in our game.  Please forgive me. 

Most often I feel happy when I am with my friends. But sometimes my friends might do something that I don't like. This might make me feel annoyed, frustrated or mad. I don't need to hit or yell, I can use the following strategies to keep this problem small.
4. Ignore Them.  I can ignore what they are doing and tell my self it isn't a big deal.
Sometimes ignoring someone may not work and I am still feeling frustrated and in the yellow zone. If ignoring them doesn't work I can use my next strategy
5. Ask Them to Stop. Before I say something I take a deep breath and look at the person who is bugging me. I then use a calm voice and say "please stop doing that" or " I feel frustrated when you...".
If that doesn't work I can..
6. Walk Away. Walk away quietly to another spot in the classroom then I can use my calming down strategies to stay in the green zone.

7. Join Another Activity.  When we are having disagreements with our friends or are not liking what our friends are doing, we can choose to join another activity instead of getting mad or sad.

8. Take Turns. When me and my friend both want to play with something or do an activity, instead of getting mad or upset we can take turns.

9. Wait and Cool Off. When my friends have made me frustrated, mad or sad, instead of yelling or hitting I can take a break and cool off. I can use my calming down strategies to bring myself back to the green zone before I decide what to do next to solve my problem.

10. Talk it Out.  When I am having a problem with a friend, instead of hitting or yelling I can use my words to talk it out. I can tell my friends how I am feeling and listen to how my friends are feeling to talk out our problem.


Reminders:

Friday November 23rd is a PD day. So No School Tomorrow

Monday November 26th-Thursday November 29th is our Hip Hop Dance Residency in Gym

Friday November 30th is our Dance showcase, where our class will be performing the dances they learned throughout the week. Our class will be performing at 8:25am on Friday 



No comments:

Post a Comment

June 21st

Hi Parents, This week in writing we wrote about our dream summer vacation. Some of us wrote about real places we would want to go, some of...